Radiation and Health Technology Group
Welcome to the Radiation and Health Technology website. Our group provides a full suite of services to support radiation protection programs. We have extensive experience in the areas of instrument performance, internal and external dosimetry, and ionizing radiation measurements, which allows us to provide services tailored specifically to clients' needs.
Our clients include the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Environmental Management; the DOE Office of Environmental, Safety, and Health; the U.S. Department of Homeland Security; the DOE Transuranium and Uranium Registry; the National Institute of Standards and Technology; Hanford Site contractors; and industrial firms.
A summary of our programs follows in the bulleted list below. For more specific information, click on the navigation buttons to the left of this text.
- The External Dosimetry Program provides single-point processing and tracking for all Hanford personnel, environmental, and nuclear-accident dosimeters. The program is accredited by the U.S. Department of Energy Laboratory Accreditation Program (DOELAP).
- The Internal Dosimetry Program provides the monitoring, evaluation, and analysis of worker intakes of radioactive materials. These intakes are measured with in vitro and in vivo bioassay methods. The bioassay measurement programs are accredited by the U.S. Department of Energy Laboratory Accreditation Program (DOELAP).
- The Instrumentation Services and Technology Program provides the calibration, maintenance, repair, testing and recordkeeping associated with all portable and semi-portable radiation protection instruments, as well as calibration of source-measuring and -testing equipment.
- The Non-Destructive Assay group provides waste characterizations and facility hold-up measurements in support of decommissioning activities and DOE Safeguards requirements.
- The Radiological Records unit maintains all past and present official worker and visitor personal radiation exposure records, required and requested exposure reports, and Hanford radiation protection policy and procedures records.
- The National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP)-accredited Calibration Laboratory for Ionizing Radiation (NVLAP Lab Code 105020) provides proficiency testing for NVLAP and DOELAP accreditation programs and dosimeter testing to various American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards.
- The Instrument Testing and Research Program evaluates the performance of survey and first-responder instruments to U.S. Department of Homeland Security standards and other national standards.